CERS Writing Retreat 11-12 July
You’ll probably get more out of the retreat if you spend an hour or two thinking ahead.
- Think carefully about what you want to do during the retreat and what you need to bring:
- If you are writing about literature, download it so you can read it.
- If you are writing about data, make sure you bring it. And if you need specialist software to analyse it – make sure your licence is up to date.
- If you are writing a chapter, blog, article then think about structure and focus.
- If you are writing a journal article then you may find these useful:
- Scimago may help you find a relevant journal – check the focus of the journal and the requirements (e.g. structure & wordcount): https://www.scimagojr.com/journalrank.php
- Anne-Wil Harzing has a useful pdf of a PPt about how to prepare your article, particularly with a focus on the abstract, introduction and conclusion as the essential elements to get you through the initial desk-review and onto peer-review: https://harzing.com/download/2021-06-full%20slidedeck.pdf
- Finally, make sure you bring your laptop and whatever files you need.
|Day 1||Day 2|
|10.00-10.15 Focus session Quick intros – what are you planning to work on in this writing retreat?5 min warm-up freewriting on your targets for today and for SUAW#1.||10.00-10.15 Focus session Time for feedback if any pairs reviewed material from day 1.What are you planning for today and for SUAW#4?|
|10.15-11.30 Shut up and write (SUAW) #1 Silent writing||10.15-11.30 Shut up and write (SUAW) #4|
|11.30-11.45 Break Refreshments in the room.Quick stretch recommended.||11.30-11.45 Break|
|11.45-13.00 SUAW#2||11.45-13.00 SUAW#5|
|13.00-14.00 Lunch Lunch in the room.Plus a walk round the campus.||13.00-14.00 Lunch|
|14.00-15.30 SUAW#3||14.00-15.30 SUAW#6|
|15.30-16.00 Wrapping up day 1 Quick update – what’s (not) gone well?Discussion: tomorrow’s individual plans.Discussion: tomorrow’s schedule – any requests for info / changes.If anyone wants their work reviewed by tomorrow, we can agree partners.||15.30-16.00 Wrapping up day 2 Quick update – what’s gone well and what’s not, in terms of your writing?Review – what worked well and how could we improve the writing retreat?Discussion about how to take this forward – what are your next steps and do you need any support?|