The growing and widening importance of higher education, its purposes and its stakeholders have created a complex sector. Investigating itself is a mark of maturity and a centre for higher education research offers a vehicle through which institutional, sector and policy issues can be located and encouraged.
The activities of the higher education special interest group (SIG) will centre around four core areas:
- Policy and history
- Teaching and learning
- Higher education identity
- Anthropological, sociological and philosophical perspectives
The higher education SIG aims to:
- Provide research to support existing learning and teaching activities
- Develop relationships with other centres of higher education in London and beyond and to enhance the essence of higher education’s contrition to fairness, dignity and justice
- Seek funding for, and disseminate, research through scholarly output such as journal conferences and seminars
- Increase high quality outcomes that will be appropriate for the next REF Education submission.
Middlesex University runs an MA in Higher Education.